Upon deciding what the finalised design would be and taking my paddle home I began prep on the paddle and the finishing of the design. I began by applying a ova glue solution to set the paddle which took a day to complete as to allow the solution to properly soak into the paddle. Using the spare piece of plywood I experimented with drawing my design straight onto it and discovered that the finalisers bled slightly into the grains of the wood, not drastically but noticeable opposed to the crisper lines on the paper design. The pro markers too bled into the wood more so than the fine liners with also the texture of the wood being visible through the marker pens. I decided from this experiment piece that the design would look a lot crisper and impactful done on paper. But I knew the handle would have to match the white paper design as I didn’t want it the original wood colour, so I used white spray can enamel to spray all of the bat and allowed this to dry for a day. I then tackled the design..
I began by tracing out the exact outline of my paddle and drawing my design inside it. I spent hours doing so and smudged the ink of the fine liner so I started again hoping not to ruin the next try after hours I had just lost. After completing the design with no hitches I then drew the second set of lips to be applied on the back of the paddle. I cut both of these designs out using a craft knife and used spray mouth to apply them to the paddle. Application was easy as I had used spray out before and I took great pleasure in sticking down the drip down the paddle handle. Overall I was pleased with how my paddle turned out as I had not envisioned the process going as well as it did despite the few hiccups along the way. I was greatly honoured to have my design chosen for the Art of Ping Pong competition, and although my paddle was not chosen in the end, I enjoyed the experience as I created a series of designs I never anticipated I would make so well.