I continued experimenting with arrangement of the poster slogans. Experiments such as the combination of pink and black type, having the term ‘on the spectrum’ in black, rotating the words to angles and completely upside down and layering the text onto of one another.
The initial design i experimented with i altered to see if all black type worked better or wether the pink was working with the composition or against it. I came tot he conclusion that for this particular composition the pink compliments the poster and is more engaging with this addition of a vibrant colour. As shown below the pink conceptually and physically highlights the term ‘on the spectrum’ which is what I am attempting to do as the fundamentals to my project.
I usually experiment a lot before refining to a final rendition of a design so i simply began moving around the text ‘on the spectrum’ to see what spontaneous designs i could create. I like this ideas of having type in different positions other than on a straight line, linking greatly to my ‘Dyspraxic habit’ of not being able to write in straight lines on a blank page. Wether this will be a final rendition of a collection i am as of yet unsure but i will continue this momentum of moving the type around the page.
Here I flipped the type upside down and essentially with each decision i make with a design I must defend its reasoning in relation to the concept of my project. Flipping the type requires a longer time to read due to its position, therefor an audience will have to pay more attention to this term ‘on the spectrum’ which is the basis of my FMP attempting to create an awareness of mental conditions and learning difficulties. I don’t think this is a perfect example of this but it has lead to refining the composition of my poster design not to simply say a message, but to be designed in a way it conceptually expresses the purpose of my FMP.
I was becoming more excited about using the type in a way to conceptually communicate my purpose of my FMP especially having the term ‘on the spectrum’ upside down. I pulled the texts together into the middle as the initial renditions i was making were appearing less effective as I went along developing the composition.
This is one of my favourite experiments as I went along this development process as I liked the grouping of the text in the middle, it felt right and pathetically sound to me. The slight overlapping of the words was also an interesting aesthetic as it was simple chance that it was the ‘on the spectrum’ term that sat on top of the text. Again this implies a conceptual highlighting and importance of the term itself and a signified importance over the black text that sits further back or underneath.
The above image is another rendition to the previous experiment where I aligned the type to the right instead of the traditional left. Initially i felt this design weaker than the previous experiment but the aligning of the text to an opposite side was conceptually very relevant to the mechanics of my FMP, in that those who are diagnosed as ‘on the spectrum’ work and function in non linear patterns and logical ways of thinking. In simpler terms they do not work in expected ways and as the pink type should be aligned with the black text, it too is not functioning in a way expected. Essentially this could be perceived as a poorly executed graphic design piece, but i am neither a graphic designer or someone who works in linear ways and as this is my working process, it reflects in my designs which is why I feel strongly that it works for my FMP. I do not work and process information and logic the same as those without Dyspraxia and or ADD, therefor it would be pointless and impossible for me to try to function in a linear way within my designs especially in digital methods, I’m simply not built that way.